Savory bacon sausage and mushroom stuffed acorn squash recipe is a fall dinner delight! A creamy sauce with sausage bacon and mushrooms are stuffed into bright acorn squash for a savory fall treat you’ll want to make every year!
I love cooking with the seasons, and Fall is my favorite time of year! The air is crisp, the leaves turn bright colors and decorate the earth below, and the seasonal foods like acorn squash are delicious!
There are two types of acorn squash recipes, sweet and savory. This is a savory recipe that combines the sweet acorn squash with savory meats cream and chives for a beautifully balanced flavor!
- 3 large green acorn squash
- 2 pounds ground sausage
- 2 packages neufchatel cream cheese
- 1 pound button and shiitake mushrooms
- 1/2 cup bacon crumbles
- 1/4 cup fresh chopped chives
- 1/4 cup fresh chopped chives for garnish
- Salt and ground black pepper to taste.
You can also saute a chopped white onion if you want to add more vegetables and flavor!
- Wash acorn squash and cut in halves, place on baking sheet
- Chop mushrooms and chives
- In a large skillet on medium high heat cook sausage
- Add mushrooms after sausage is cooked
- mix in cream cheese
- add chopped chives
- mix well
- fill acorn squash
- bake at 350 for 1 hour or till acorn squash are tender.
- Garnish with chopped chives
Alternatively, you can bake acorn squash halves for 30 minutes then fill and bake for the remaining 30-40 minutes till soft. This way the filling is less browned on top, and more creamy or moist. When filling acorn squash, make sure to spread evenly between squash halves.
My Favorite Kitchen Tool
I love to use the Berky Water Filter! It filters out the most chemicals, pathogens, and nitrates, and arsenic (which we have a lot of in our well water)!
What to Serve with This Dish
This is a versatile dish that can stand alone as a meal, or you can serve it with fresh fall sides. I like serving this with a green salad and sourdough cornbread! It also goes well with: Fruit Salad Homemade Bread, and chocolate cake for dessert!
Thanks for stopping by Farmhouse Harvest! Hope you enjoy the season and all that it has to offer this fall! – Juliea
Leave a Reply